18.6.11

venice beach. gjelina & jake


images from megan.christine

After a weekend spent in Manhattan Beach for a wedding in Westlake Village, it came to an end with Sunday brunch with a few of my girlfriends.  Since one friend had just recently moved from Brooklyn to Venice Beach, we decided to group on Abbot Kinney Blvd at the hipster restaurant, Gjelina.  I had read about Gjelina in many magazines and had talked to a good friend who was lucky enough to be on the design team for the interiors (done by Peel Inc and Modern Architectural Inc), so it would have been accurate to say I was a tad excited to go meet them.  Thinking ahead, my friend made reservations (which I highly recommend).  This place is packed and the wait can be brutal on the weekends.  What's rather pleasant is that everyone waiting stays outdoors, which is great not to have a bum in your face as your eating.  We got a large table in the front of the restaurant by the bar, with optimal people watching views indoors and out.  We started with ice coffee and blood orange mimosas, and then shared dishes family style.  Chef Travis Lett, did not disappoint.  His spin on margarita pizza (with jalapeno) was delicious, as was the Moroccan eggs and eggplant with burrata.  There wasn't a bite left on any plate.  The combination of flavor was artful and the textures were well balanced.  I think I could have sat at that table until dinner.  It didn't hurt that I had a beeline view of Jake Gylenhaal the entire meal!  


images from, my last bite

No comments: