1.10.10

Juice Me










I remember during childhood mixing fruit, like pears or strawberries, in the blender to make homemade popsicles. At the time, the health benefits were not as high of a concern as were the sweetness and taste. But, without realizing it, my Mother instilled in me the value of using fresh ingredients. Into adulthood, I find myself seeking out healthy alternatives and when possible, I prepare my own food. Rather than using processed products, I enjoy making homemade sauces, dressings and marinades.
After a recent trip to Bali, I was once again reintroduced to blended fruit, and was exposed to juiced vegetables. The beverages, thinner than a smoothie, were amazing. Free of syrups or additives, I felt my body thanking me for the nutrient packed snack.
Returning back to the States, I was determined to recreate those delicious drinks from Bali. I was given a Juicer as a gift recently, and I was finally able to test my skills. Using ingredients picked out at the Solana Beach Farmers Market (beet, carrot and ginger), I whipped up my favorite drink from The Good Earth, a café in Seminyak. I was so pleased with how easy it was to make, and how good it tasted!
Juicing is a healthy way to allow your body to absorb a larger amount of concentrated nutrients more quickly than solid foods. The process of digestion is bypassed and since raw ingredients are used, there are more enzymes. Enzymes have a vital role in converting food into energy and are also a defense against fighting disease.
But, if you don’t have a Juicer on hand, or shopping for ingredients isn’t convenient, there are some other ways to get your hands on a glass of juice. The chain, Jamba Juice, has many locations throughout North County. But there are also local business, like Froots in Carlsbad (2675 Gateway Road, www.froots.com), Juicers in Solana Beach (243 N Highway 101) or Maui Wowi in Oceanside (301 Mission Avenue, http://www.hawaiianblendsca.com/)


* images Megan.Christine

No comments: