22.8.10

Claire's on Cedros
















I love eggs. I love breakfast. I love when it's deliciously prepared with fresh ingredients. I love good decor. I love green practice. And I love eating amongst friends. Enter, Claire's on Cedros. Slightly north of the Solana Beach train station on Cedros Avenue, is the fantastic eatery, that I find myself most Saturday mornings (if I had the luxury to pop in every day, I would without a doubt). Claire's doubles as both a cafe and a bakery. They make most everything from scratch on site, including an entire selection of gluten free goods (muffins, breads, cookies, etc). This brought a smile to my friend's face this weekend, when she discovered she could have toast with her eggs. Claire's has a good breakfast selection, and the portions are big enough to satisfy a healthy appetite but not too large to overstuff. It's entirely too easy to eat an entire plate, but when everything is fresh, somehow even pancakes covered in chocolate chips and syrup feels healthy. My favorite dishes are the Caprese frittata (ricotta, arugula and the basil pesto) and the wild mushroom & roasted tomato omelet (brie, shallots and thyme).
Claire's took a sustainable menu (ie ingredients are grown on the property) and extended those values into their building. It is the first LEED Platinum restaurant in San Diego, a praised distinction. From materials to energy, every detail is well thought out with Mother Earth in mind. In addition, they just joined the Green Restaurant Association, and will run their business using sustainable practices (example, unless asked for, water is conserved, and not served).
A trip to Claire's is a delightful experience. Frequently there is a wait, but with complementary coffee, a ridiculously nice staff, a garden to peruse and a neighborhood of friendly locals to chat with, I really have nothing to complain about.
Claire's on Cedros: 246 North Cedros
* photos Megan Christine

No comments: