17.4.10

Jaynes Gastropub






Last Wednesday, I finally made my way to Jayne's Gastropub (on 3oth Street near Adams Avenue). I have been meaning to do this for some time, and I was happy when my girlfriend wanted to swing by after work for a quick catch-up. While a handful of gastropubs have emerged in San Diego, I had an inkling that this place would stand out above the masses. And I was right! Rather than yet another burger joint, Jayne's is more like a bistro, serving delicate upscale versions of traditional bar nosh and main dishes. I happened to pony up to the small metal bar for their daily Happy Hour, which includes a short food menu and good drink specials. I got a delicious crisp Riesling, while my friend enjoyed a Manhattan from their newly crafted cocktail menu (they just recently got their full bar). The atmosphere is a welcoming, casual neighborhood gathering spot. Conversation flowed between staff and guests, and the friendly attitudes just enhanced the entire experience. Temptation was too great, so we decided to order a little snack while we sipped our beverages. We got pulled pork quesadillas, which while tiny, were full of flavor and juicy meat. We also got a slider with fries, which was tasty, but I wish I had listened to the bartender and got the croquettes instead. Beyond the small bar, there is a long rectangular dining room and quaint outdoor patio enclosed by ivy covered walls. To me, the decor comes off as a London flat meets Victorian tea room. I was immediately a fan of the faux animal busts! I look forward to heading back to enjoy a proper dinner!

- photos Megan*Christine

1 comment:

Do Bianchi said...

ain't it a nifty place? we had the pulled-pork quesadillas at our wedding reception there! Tracie P just HAD TO HAVE them. :-)

hope to see you there the next time I'm in town... great post... (clearly, I'm a fan!)...