19.5.09

Printing Linens


I have acquired a small obsession with colorful, patterned and unique linens. And while I love table cloths, napkins and hand towels, I have mainly focused on my bed. It is where we spend hopefully a 1/4 of our day, right?


I prefer a palette of a neutral tone, preferably white, with a muted texture (recently a white coverlet with organic bursts stitched in white). Then, onto this base, I add pops of color - accent pillows, a spread, shams, etc. I have already gone through two rounds of pillow purging, and my linen closet is slowly but surely brimming with a rainbow.


But, yesterday when I felt obliged to tidy the office, I came across a book that was purchased for me last winter, Lena Corwin's Printing by Hand, a Modern Guide to Printing with Handmade Stamps, Stencils and Silk Screens (2008). And perhaps it was the load of bed linens waiting to be folded, or just a necessary day-dream to escape cleaning, but I got to brainstorming some ideas of my own. I could make my own linens...... now, I just need to buy the materials and learn how......

No comments: