24.6.09

North County Design: Chicweed




On busy Cedros Avenue in the heart of the Solana Beach design district sits an open air boutique that fences off a collection of bright outdoor furniture and accessories scattered amongst a myriad of pots and bins brimming with plants.  This is Chicweed, owned and operated by Leah, Melissa & Susie.  I was initially drawn to the bright bistro chairs, which I later learned are by Fermob, a French furniture company.  The pieces come in funky bold colors, with names like carrot, verbena, and aniseed.  Once inside Chicweed, I was able to peruse all the interesting accessories, like miniature birdcages.  I took a liking to the floral arrangements, mostly succulents, and took some notes for a weekend gardening project of my own.  I was delighted to learn that in addition to some of the vintage containers and garden pots, a portion of ceramics are created by local artists.  Chicweed purchases and then fills the containers with their custom arrangements.  They will also fill your own pots (in case you already have a favorite at home), or come out to your property (if its too large or heavy to transport).  This is where their landscape design and consulting plays in.  I will definitely be making a trip back to Chicweed as I begin sprucing up my own patio for summer BBQs!

No comments: