13.10.09

Pear and Arugula Salad with Goat Cheese


Last night I had a girlfriend over for a long overdue 'catch-up session.' I made the below recipe for us, which was perfect for a crisp San Diego fall night. I used in-season produce that were locally bought- the Pears came from Julian and the Pumpkin from Encinitas. Originally from Food and Wine magazine, I altered the recipe to my taste. It was delicious and light, and I will definitely make it again!


Ingredients

Dressing:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (or mix in some water for a healthy alternative)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme
Salt and freshly ground pepper


Salad:
arugula
pears (Asian pears if they are available)- peeled, cored and very thinly sliced
salted roasted pumpkin seeds
fresh goat cheese, crumbled

chicken, cubed
Sea salt, for sprinkling


Directions

In a pan, saute chicken with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic salt. Once cooked, set aside. Place pear slices in the same pan, turning until cooked.


In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice, honey and chopped thyme. Season the salad dressing with salt and pepper.


In a large bowl, toss the arugula with the pear slices, chicken and goat cheese. Add the dressing and toss well. Top with the pumpkin seeds, sprinkle lightly with sea salt and serve right away.

2 comments:

Erin Michelle Foley said...

This and variations of this type of salad are my most favorite things ever to make and enjoy- so good for you and yet delicious. My recipe always changes with what is available in my kitchen, the grocery store, the farmers market- I also love dried cranberries, almonds, and raspberries with goat cheese on any dark leafy green mix- homemade balsamic viniagrette with whatever fresh herbs are available and sea salt. Top with grilled salmon, if I want it to be the whole meal. Or strawberries, feta and walnuts...possibilities are endless, so healthy and tasty!

Erin Michelle Foley said...

Meant to also say- thanks for posting this, it sounds so delicious!I am interested to try your dressing recipe :)