29.7.10

Grilled Pizza







I have a weakness for pizza. No longer are the days of Little Caesars and Domino's deliveries, of standard pies of pepperoni and cheese. These days there are plenty of restaurants and bars that concoct recipes of untraditional ingrediants that make your taste buds dance. Take for example one of my favorite dishes at Wine Steals (Downtown, Hillcrest, Point Loma & Cardiff), it's a Gouda cheese, apple and pulled pork pie. But I can't hold back from creating my own versions in the comfort of my own kitchen, and started experimenting. Finding a great dough at Trader Joe's (they have plain, wheat and herb), a favorite became a mixture of cranberry goat cheese, grilled chicken, fresh fig and caramelized onion (pictured above). I was cooking them in my oven (without a pizza stone), but was struggling to obtain a crispy crust. I then received a pizza ceramic for the grill from Crate and Barrel as a birthday gift. I used it last week, and its amazing! The results are similar to that of a wood fire oven, leaving the crust very crispy and a taste of char grill. This time I made mozzarella, basil chicken sausage, roasted tomato and fresh rosemary (pictured on the grill above). I must admit, I was wildly tempted to eat the whole pie!

2 comments:

Maggie said...

make your own dough! it's so easy and soooo cheap.
We get 2 pizzas, 3 small pizzas or a pizza and a calzone from the each batch of dough!

Jessa Lyders said...

thanks for the shout-out ;)