28.12.10

holiday breakfast

One of my favorite things about the holidays is all the food that comes with celebrating.  For our families, specific recipes are reserved for this season, and it's well worth the yearly wait.  The desserts definitely take center stage, whether it's my Nanny (or now my sister-in-law's) Anise Cookies, Donna's chocolate brittle, or Mom's sugar cookies, everyone has their own favorites.  But for me, I also look forward to Christmas breakfast.  Given my love for the morning meal, and my deep appreciation of the egg - I was lucky this year to get two Christmas breakfasts.
My mother makes breakfast pizza.  With a crispy croissant crust, baked on a pizza pan, topped with eggs, cheese, herbs and canadian bacon.  I have loved this for years and despite its relative simplicity, I refuse to make it on my own any other time during the year.
My fiance's family makes lox & bagels and Phil's Eggs.  The lox is self explanatory, but wildly delicious.  This year they also had a giant fruit salad (grapes, watermelon and berries) that was so sweet and fresh.  Phil's Eggs is a decedent casserole filled with eggs, cheese and sausage that is so addictive.  It's hard not to go back for seconds or thirds.
At both meals, the family got to discussing, what would be our Christmas breakfast tradition?  While we have a few years before we establish our own, my brother and his wife suggested they may make a frittata (with hashbrown, basil, sage, parmesan and prosciutto) - I might have to make my way to their house next year!
* images Megan.Christine

No comments: