29.1.11

quinoa for breakfast




* images Megan.Christine

Most of my family and friends will tell you that I am notorious for requiring coffee and eggs every morning in order to come to life after the night's sleep.  It's a dependency that I've had for years now, and I rarely stray from my routine, even if I am running late or have to run to the grocer (yes, I have been that person at 6am buying a carton of eggs). But two weeks ago, I was introduced to new a breakfast dish, quinoa with fruit and nuts.  In the midst of an anti-inflammatory cleanse that had specific dietary restrictions, which included eggs, I was in search for a breakfast that would be substantial, satisfying, tasty and keep me full through the morning.  I have cooked with quinoa before, mostly for side dishes at dinner or a salad at lunch, but never for breakfast.  Quinoa, which is a grain-like crop known for it's edible seeds, is packed with protein and has a subtle nutty flavor.  When mixed with a little agave nectar and cinnamon, it's delicious!  Over the weeks, we experimented with different fruits, including bananas, apricots, blackberries, as well as various nuts, like walnuts, almonds, cashews.  Our favorite to date is the banana and almonds, as the textures and tastes compliment each other and make for a fantastic hearty breakfast.

Quinoa with Banana & Almonds
(serves 2)
Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup almond milk (soy milk or cow's milk can also be used)
- 1 large banana, diced
- handful of almonds (whole or diced)
- agave nectar
- cinnamon

Combine quinoa and milk in a saucepan, bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes (or until liquid is absorbed).  Stir in a tablespoon of agave nectar and a few heavy sprinkles of cinnamon.  Spoon into bowls, add bananas and almonds.  Drizzle a little agave nectar and top with a dash of cinnamon.  Serve warm and enjoy!

No comments: