22.1.11

salmon & quinoa with mustard sauce

I have been seeing an awesome physical therapist (Dr. Katrina Stopper in Del Mar), and with regard to issues with my knees (I'll spare the background) she recently explained some of the basic connections between what we eat and our joints.  I assume everyone knows (or should) that a healthy diet is always a good option and that certain foods are linked to aid certain issues (an early lesson, carrots are good for vision).  But what I didn't realize was that, beyond my physical activity, despite my diet being considered healthy, there were certain foods and beverages that I was eating that could also be enhancing the inflammation in my knees.  So, I have started taking supplements and have taken a more holistic approach to my healthy maintenance, adding and eliminating (in moderation) certain foods.  In doing so, I also reached out to a good friend and NYC based nutritionist, Marissa Lippert, to suggest some new recipes that would fit in-line with my specific situation.  She sent me some wonderful suggestions, including a salmon in bengali mustard sauce (a recipe included in the Food Lovers Cleanse in Bon Appetit that she helped develop).  I didn't follow the recipe exactly, as I baked the salmon and then drizzled the mustard sauce over it, but for the most part, I stuck to the directions - and it was delicious!  I don't normally cook with turmeric or mustard powder, so I welcomed the expansion of my spice collection.  I served the salmon with roasted butternut squash and quinoa, which ultimately I topped with the sauce as well.  With all the flavor and texture, this dish was a party for my mouth! 

* images Megan.Christine

To rub on the fish:
3/4 pound skinless salmon fillet
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

You also need:
1 tablespoon ground mustard
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons mustard oil (use extra virgin olive oil as a substitute)
1/4 teaspoon whole brown mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
2 fresh hot green and/or red chilies (bird's-eye is best), slit slightly

Cut the fish into pieces that are about 2" x 1" and rub them evenly with the salt, turmeric, and cayenne. Cover and set aside in the refrigerator for 30 minutes-10 hours.

Put the mustard powder, cayenne, turmeric, and salt in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon water and mix thoroughly. Add another 7 tablespoons water and mix. Set aside.

Pour the oil into a medium frying pan and set over medium-high heat. When hot, put in the mustard seeds. As soon as they start to pop, a matter of seconds, add the cumin and fennel seeds. Stir once and quickly pour in the mustard paste. Add the green chilies, stir, and bring to a gentle simmer. Place the fish pieces in the sauce in a single layer. Simmer gently for about 5 minutes, or until the fish is just cooked through, spooning the sauce over the fish all the time


No comments: