25.8.09

Fresh Rosemary & A Good Salad


This past June I came across an article in the NYTimes that I really appreciated, Urban Farming, A Bit Closer To The Sun, about farming in the sky as part of the green roof movement.  I  sent it to my friends in Brooklyn, who had created an amazing patio and garden outside on top of the nasty blacktop roof outside their kitchen in their apartment building.  Packed with potted plants, lounge chairs, and bathtubs full of vegetables, Neena & Jeff's new living space was the perfect place to spend a Sunday afternoon BBQ'ing.  On a smaller scale, near downtown San Diego in Point Loma, my friends, Jess & Micah, have begun their own rooftop garden, with herbs and tomatoes.  Lining their sundeck with terracotta pots, they have already begun to reap the benefits of growing your own produce.  Last week, Jess brought me a bag of samplings from their garden, and I made the most delicious salad with the fresh rosemary:

ROSEMARY CHICKEN SALAD
Boil (with cloves, salt & chopped onion) chicken & pull
Boil in 1" water: green beans & chopped sweet potatoes (separately)
Mix with chopped red onion, fresh rosemary, kalamata olives, feta cheese, lemon juice
Serve over arugala, S&P to taste
Enjoy with a glass of Pinot Noir

No comments: