30.8.09

Leucadia Art Walk 2009





In it's fifth year, today is the Leucadia Art Walk, bringing over 100 artists along the 101 to sell array of fine art of all different mediums.  In addition to the art, there is also live music, a wine garden and other family fun activities.    
I spent some time perusing the booths, which many were set back in parking lots and grassy spaces off the 101.  The event was spread out,  and since it was rediculously hot outside, the free water from the Main Street Association was fantastic!  
There were a lot of talented artists and adorable shops (many which you miss driving by), but I'd have to say the two that caught my eye were photographer, Maggie Marsek, and the Eric Phleger Gallery (which was currently showing pieces from Raul Guerrero).  
Maggie's photography (images above) captures the Southern California and Baja environment and culture from a stylistic vantage.  As much as I thought that her landscapes, many of the surf, were beautiful, I particularily favored her detailed images.  The grill of a car, a hanging wetsuit, signage, small statues- not only were the articles somewhat random, which was interesting, but her colors were so bright and vivid.  Perhaps I selfishly liked these pieces because my own eye focuses on the little, often overlooked, items that make up the scenery around us.  Regardless, I am so glad that I found Maggie, and look forward to adding some of her pieces to my own collection.  
 

No comments: