17.7.09

Old Town Manassas Farmer's Market








Yesterday morning I decided to cruise by the Old Town Farmer's Market. I was craving some fresh summer fruit, and I sure had a selection to choose from. Located in an open air pavilion alongside the train track promenade, local farmers gather on Thursday mornings to sell off their seasonal crop. After a few samplings, I walked away with peaches, plums (3 varieties), apricots, and a bouquet of bright flowers. But, what was really enjoyable is just how friendly Southern people are and how neighborly and chatty people can be. Two farmers drove from West Virginia at 2am, another woman taught me how to properly freeze pies, and an elderly man taught me how to pick the perfect heirloom tomato. With my loot in hand, I walked away savoring the tart aroma lingering behind me from the market.

No comments: